Sunday, February 11, 2007

Chile, part three: To the Beach!

For the weekend I was invited to the beach by a co-worker and his family. On Saturday night we had a barbecue at his house and I spent most of my time playing with his two daughters, Haviela (8) and Connie (4). They would hide a stone in their hands and I had to guess. At one point Havi was playing with my hair, pulling it back into a ponytail and she said "Eww, sexy!" I was shocked. An eight-year old in a small Chilean village using the American word sexy. I guess Justin really did bring it back.

So on Sunday we drove to the beach at Iloca, a less popular, more secluded beachfront. The kids started to play with the sand and I thought it would be cool to be buried in the sand. I mean, I've been buried on the sands of Lake Michigan and the Gulf of Mexico (both thanks to Katie!), so why not the Pacific Ocean? Then I learned that creepy little bugs lived a foot below the sand, so I didn't say anything. Another little creature I affectionately call "Bubblehead" was sticky and royal blue and kept washing up on the shore. As I was inspecting it in my hand, I felt a sting so I flung it to the ground. You can see a picture of this tiny beast in my photos. Does anybody know its real name? The tide was pretty strong and the waves were pretty big (10 feet) so we went swimming with no fear of the little creatures. Yet to this day, I am still finding sand in my ears.

No comments: